Thursday, February 1, 2007

Would Jesus be a Christian?

I recently (yesterday) finished a book that I had requested for Christmas. It is titled A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian D McLaren. The general (very general) premise of the book is to discus various beliefs that we have as Christians, where those beliefs came from, some of the good and bad of those beliefs and what this means for us in the world that we live in today. It is so much more than that when you get into it, but that is an o.k. summary.
The twist is that McLaren isn't sitting there pointing to the Christian community out there rather talking about his personal experiences as an unfinished, growing, ever changing believer in God. I have half joked a couple of times with Hayne that we should write a book about all the things God has been teaching us over the last year or so. I don't feel that need to write as much now because of this book. With a few exceptions I think it is amazing. At this point I'd say you could read any (all) of Donald Miller's book and this one and have the beginnings of some sort of understanding of what God has been showing me and doing in my life.
Let me give you some little bits form the book. Chapter 3: Would Jesus be a Christian?
"The more I study the Bible and reflect on the life and teachings of Jesus, the more I think most of Christianity as practiced today has very little to do with the real Jesus found there. Often I don't think Jesus would be caught dead as a Christian, were he physically here today. Generally, I don't think Christians would like Jesus if he showed up today as he did 2000 years ago. in fact, I think we'd call him a heretic and plot to kill him, too."
Not a bad start to a chapter right? He goes on. "Has he [Jesus] become less our Lord and more our Mascot? Lord means "master" (the very opposite of mascot)...I feel surrounded by Christians who very much like the idea of an American God and a middle-class Republican Jesus, first and foremost concerned about Our National Security and our Way of Life. "The Lord is my shepherd" becomes "the Lord is our President" elected by us for our national interest, or "the Lord is our secretary of defense", ready to sacrifice 10,000 lives of non-citizens elsewhere for the safety of U.S. citizens here."
McLaren goes on from here discussing what it was that Jesus really came to do in this world and how it applies today just as much as it did when he walked the Roman controlled streets of Jerusalem. He summarizes this chapter with this. "The result [modern Christianity] is a religion that Jesus might consider about as useful as many non-Christians consider it today, just as the Lord said they would (Mat. 5:13-16; 7:21-23).
The chapters that follow get into different aspects and branches of Christianity. Methodist, Catholic, Evangelicals and so on and so forth. It is all wonderful. I happen to enjoy his writing style as well.
In Chapter 17: Why I Am Incarnational he starts to flirt with a very daunting line. Some of his writing sounds like universalism. While he refutes this he also seems to support it. There is a lot of back and forth writing that at times almost seems to contradict itself. However, aside from these things (and really even with this), I find the book very interesting and challenging and meeting me right where I am in trying to live daily in light of Jesus and my desires to honor him.
I know this isn't the most thorough critique of this book, but it would take me forever. I do hope that this little bit that I have written makes you think and just encourages you to take this life God has given us with the seriouseness, love, devotion, humility, aggression, fear, tact, and wildness that it deserves.
Till next time.

AO

No comments: